Translated by Ramakrishna Janasvami
Agni Suktam is the first hymn in the oldest of the vedas, the Rig Veda and is addressed to Agni, the fire-god, who is considered a cosmic power, who protects and guides human beings towards perfection. In what follows, we have included the original Sanskrit text along with the transliterated text for each Rig Vedic hymn. Svarita, Anudatta and Udatta marks are also shown in the original Sanskrit hymns to facilitate proper pronunciation and recitation. Sandhi dissected versions should be of immense help before an interpretation of various words is undertaken. As opposed to classical Sanskrit, Vedic sanskrit is somewhat less structured and a careful reader will find not infrequent violation of grammatical rules in the texts. Still, the grammar works of Macdonnel  and Whitney  should be particularly useful in interpreting vedic texts in a meaningful way.
1. I glorify Agni, the high priest of sacrifice, the divine, the ministrant, who is the offerer and possessor of greatest wealth.
2. May that Agni, who is worthy to be praised by ancient and modern sages, gather the Gods here.
3. Through Agni, one gets lot of wealth that increases day by day. One gets fame and the best progeny.
4. O Agni, you are surrounding the non-violent sacrifice on all sides, that which indeed reaches (in) the gods.
5. May Agni, the sacrificer, one who possesses immense wisdom, he who is true, has most distinguished fame, is divine, come hither with the gods.
6. O Agni, whatever good you will do and whatever possessions you bestow (upon the worshiper), that, O Angiras, is indeed your essence.
7. O Agni, the illuminer (dispeller) of darkness, we approach near thee (thy vicinity) with thought (willingness), day by day, while bearing obeisance.
8. (We approach) Thee, the shining (the radiant), the protector of non-injuring sacrifices, growing in your own dwelling, the bright star of truth.
9. O Agni, be easily accessible to us, like a father to his son. Accompany us for our well being.
Visit Downloads Page for Link to download this E-Book as a PDF File.