Jagannatha Sahasra Nama Stotram
Jagannatha Sahasra Nama Stotram
Translated by P. R. Ramachander
[There was a great King called Indra Dhyumna in Orissa, who was a great devotee of Lord Vishnu. One great scholar once told him about a very rare but extremely holy form of Lord Vishnu called Neela Madhava. The King send all his courtiers in search of this great form of Lord Vishnu. Except one minister called Vidhyapathi all of them failed. Vidhyapathi with extreme difficulty located Neela Madhava being worshipped by a gentleman called Vishvavasu belonging to a tribe called Sabara. On his information, the King Indra Dhyumna did reach the place where he found Neela Madhava but was disappointed as he was not able to see the god there. However, he was instructed by God Nila Madhava to construct a temple on the top of the Neeladri (Blue Mountain) and get a wooden statue of him consecrated there by Lord Brahma. The God instructed the King to collect the wooden piece sent by him to carve out the idol of the god. It is believed God himself came in the form of an artist to carve the statue. He instructed that he should work alone and should not be disturbed. He said he would work inside the temple and the doors should be closed. Unable to stifle his anxiety to see the God, the King one day opened the doors of the temple. The Statues of Krishna, Balabadra and Subadra were not completely finished and did not have legs and arms. The God ordered the King to worship him in that form only. This is the Lord Jagannatha of Puri and this Sahasra Namam is written about him. But I could not see the one thousand names of the Lord in the Sahasra Namam. Possibly some part of it is missing and I could locate only 577 names. The English text can be viewed at: sanskritdocuments.org/doc_trial/fortransfer/jagannAthasahasranAmastotra.txt. The Sanskrit and Tamil text can be viewed at: docs.google.com/file/d/0ByHsyol17T5XblZjSmwwYlFJVjg/edit and knramesh.blogspot.in/2013/04/sri-jagannatha-sahasranamam.html. The odia text can be viewed at: www.odia.org/sanskrit/jagannatha1k_odi.pdf. The detailed story of the Lord Jagannatha descending to the Puri can be viewed at: www.indiadivine.org/articles/733-origin-sri-puri-jagannatha.html]
1. Deva dhanava gandharava Vidhyadharoragai,
Devyamaanam sadaa charu koti surya sama prabham
The God who is always served by devas,
Asuras, Gandharwas and Vidhyadharas is pretty,
And shines like billions of suns.
2. Dhyayen Narayanam devam Chathur varga phala pradham,
Jaya Krishna Jagannadha, jaya sarvadhi nayaka.
I meditate on God Narayana, which leads to four types of results,
Victory to Krishna who is god of universe, victory to the lord of all.
3. Jaya sesha Jagat vandhya Padambuja namosthuthe.
Victory to the lotus saluted by Adhi Sesha and the world.
4. Yasya prasaadath sarvam, yasthu Vishnu Parayana,
Yasthu dhatha Vidathaa cha yasya sravam paro bhaveth.
By whom everything would be happy, By whom Vishnu can be studied,
Who is the giver and creator and by whom everything becomes divine.
5. Yasya Maayamayam Jaalam trilokyam sa chara charam,
Marthyascha mruga thrushnaayaam bramayathyapi kevalam.
Through his illusion and trick all moving and not moving things,
And all men and animals are confused by desire.
6. Namayaham jagat preethyaa naamaani cha jagatpathe,
Brahathya khadtham yach cha thanme kadham sampratham.
I salute him who loves the world and please tell in detail,
The names of that lord of the world, so that I can tell them properly.
7. Yudhishtra Maha Baho, kadhyami srunushva may,
Jagannadasya naamaani pavithrani shubhaani cha.
Oh greatly valorous Yudhishtra, I will tell, be pleased to hear.
The names of Jagannadha which are holy and auspicious.
8. Maayaya yasya samsaro vyaprutha sa charachara,
Yasya prasadacha Brahmaanam srusthwaa Paathi cha sarvadhaa.
He who has spread by illusion among all moving and not moving things,
And through his grace Lord Brahma is able to create for always.
9. Brahmaadshi dasa dik paalan Maaya vimohithaan khalu,
Yasya cheshtaa avarohascha Brahmanda Khanda gochara.
Brahma and other guardians of ten directions are bewitched by him,
And due to his movement and progress the universe appears in pieces.
10. Dhayaa vaa mamathaa yasya sarva bhoothershu sarvaga,
Sathya Dharma vibhooshasya Jagan nathasya sarvatha.
Through the pity and affection of Jagananatha,
All the beings spread all over,
Are ornamented with truth and dharma.
11. Kadhataami sahasrani naamaani thava cha Anagha
I will now tell his one thousand names which are invaluable.
The chanting is being done.
Om Asya mathruka manthrasya, Sri Veda Vyasa rishi, Anushtup chanda, Sri Jagannadho devatha, BHagawatha Sri Jagannadhasya preethyartham, Sahasranama paatane viniyoga.
To the mother chant, the sage is Veda Vyasa, the meter is Anushtup, the God addressed is Jagananadha and the thousand names are being read as per the wishes of God Jagananadha.
Neeladrai Sankha madhye, satha dala Kamale rathna simhasanastham,
Sarvalankara yuktham nava Ghana ruchiram samyutham chagrajena,
Badraya vaama parswe, Radha charana yutham, brahma rudrendra vandhyam,
Vedaanaam saaram, eesam swajana parivrutham Brahma daro smarami.
On the blue mountain, in the middle of the conch sitting on a gem studded throne in the middle of a lotus flower with hundred petals,
Completely decorated in a new charming profound way along with his elder brother,
With Subadra on his left side and I meditate on the god carrying Brahma surrounded by his own people.
1. Chathurbhujo - One with four hands.
2. Jagannadho - Lord of the universe.
3. Kantha Shobitha Kousthubha - One whose neck shines with Kousthubha.
4. Padmanabho - One who has lotus on his belly.
5. Lokanadho - Lord of the earth.
6. Vedagarbha - One who has Veda within him.
7. Chandra Suryo Vilochana - One who sees through Sun and the moon.
8. Jagannadho - Lord of universe.
9. Lokanadho - Lord of the earth.
10. Neeladreesa - God of the blue mountain.
11. Para - Divine one.
12. Hari - Lord Vishnu.
13. Dhenabandhu - The relation of the suffering ones.
14. Dhaya Sindhu - The sea of mercy.
15. Krupalu - The merciful God.
16. Jana Rakshaka - The one who protects people.
17. Kambhupani - One who holds the conch.
18. Chakrapani - One who holds the discuss.
19. Padmanabha - One who has a lotus on his belly.
20. Narothama - The best among men.
21. Jagathaam Palaka - One who protects the world.
22. Vyapi - One who is spread.
23. Sarva Vyapi - One who is spread everywhere.
24. Sureswara - God of the devas.
25. Lokaraja - King of the people.
26. Devaraja - King of devas.
27. Sakro Bhoopascha Bhoopathi - King of Indra and other Kings.
28. Neeladri Pathi Nadha - The lord of the King of blue mountain.
29. Anantha - The endless one.
30. Purushothama - The Best among Purushas.
31. Tharkshyo Adhyaya - One whose talk is golden.
32. Kalpa Tharu - The wish giving tree.
33. Vimala Preethi Vardhana - One who increases our love to purity.
34. Balabadhara - Balarama.
35. Vasudeva - Son of Vasudeva.
36. Madhava - Lord of Knowledge.
37. Madhu Sudana - Killer of Madhu.
38. Daityari - Killer of asuras.
39. Pudarikaksha - One who has lotus like eyes.
40. Vanamali - One who wears a forest garland.
41. Balipriya - One who likes Mahabali.
42. Brahma - Brahma the creator.
43. Vishnu - Vishnu the care taker.
44. Vrushni Vamso - One belonging to the clan of Vrushnis.
45. Murari - The killer of Mura.
46. Krishna - Lord Krishna.
47. Kesava - He in whom Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva reside.
48. Srirama - Lord Rama.
49. Sachidananda - The divine joy.
50. Govinda - He who is the chief of the cows.
51. Parameswara - He who is the divine God.
52. Vishnu - He who is peace.
53. Jishnu - He who wins.
54. Mahavishnu - The great Lord Vishnu.
55. Prabhavishnu - He who is in every being.
56. Maheswara - God of gods.
57. Loka Kartha - The one who created the world.
58. Jagannadha - The Lord of the universe.
59. Mahikartha - The Lord of the earth.
60. Mahayasa - One with great fame.
61. Maharshi - The great sage.
62. Kapilacharya - The Great Guru Kapila.
63. Lokachari - One who travels all over the world.
64. Sura - The deva.
65. Hari - He who destroys birth and death.
66. Aathma - He who is the soul.
67. Jeevapala - He who looks after living beings.
68. Sura - Hero.
69. Samsara Palaka - He who looks after the world.
70. Yeka - He who is one.
71. Aneka - He who is many.
72. Mama Priya - He who is dear to me.
73. Brahma Vaadi - He who argues for Brahma.
74. Maheswara - The greatest god.
75. Dwibuja - He who has two hands.
76. Chathurbahu - He who has four hands.
77. Sathabahu - He who has hundred hands.
78. Sahasraka - He who has thousand forms.
79. Padma Pathra Visalaksha - He who has broad eyes like lotus leaf.
80. Padma Garbha - He who had Lotus within him.
81. Para - He who is different.
82. Hari - He who is green.
83. Padma Hastha - He who has hand as soft as lotus.
84. Devapala - He who looks after devas.
85. Daithyari - He who is the enemy of Asuras.
86. Daithya Nasana - He who is the destroyer of asuras.
87. Chathurmurthi - He who has four forms.
88. Chathurbahu - He who has four hands.
89. Chathuranana Sevitha - He who is served by Lord Brahma.
90. Padma Hastha - He who holds lotus in his hands.
91. Chakra Pani - He who holds the discuss in his hands.
92. Sankha Hastha - He who holds Conch in his hands.
93. Gadhadhara - He holds the mace.
94. Maha Vaikunta Vasi - He who lives in great Vaikunta.
95. Lakshmi Preethikara Sadaa - He who is always loved by Lakshmi.
96. Viswanatha Preethidha - He who is dear to Lord Shiva.
97. Sarva Deva Priyankara - He who is the darling of all devas.
98. Viswa Vyapi - He who is spread all over universe.
99. Dharu Roopa - He who has the form made of wood.
100. Chandra Surya Vilochana - He who has sun and moon as eyes..
101. Guptha Gangopalabdhi - He who obtained Guptha Ganga.
102. Thulasi Preetivardhana - He who increases the love towards Thulasi.
103. Jagadheesa - God of the world.
104. Srinivasa - He who lives with Goddess Lakshmi.
105. Sripathi - The Consort of Lakshmi.
106. Srigadhagraja - He whose elder brother is Balarama.
107. Saraswathi Mooladhara - He who is the Mooladhara of Saraswathi.
108. Srivathsa - He who is adorned by Sri Vathsa.
109. Sridhayanidhi - He who is the treasure of mercy.
110. Prajapathi - Lord of the people.
111. Bhrugupathi - Lord of Shukra.
112. Bhargavo - Sage Shukra.
113. Neelasundara - The pretty God who is blue.
114. Yogamaya Gunaa Roopo - He who has the properties of Yoga Maya.
115. Jagadhoneswara - He who is the god of gardens of the world.
116. Hari - He who is Lord Vishnu.
117. Adhithya - He who is Sun God.
118. Pralayodhari - He who saves us from deluge.
119. Sasmsara Palaka - He who protects the worldly life.
120. Krupavishta - He who is filled with mercy.
121. Padma Paani - He who has lotus like hands.
122. Amoorthi - He who does not have a form.
123. Jagadasraya - He on whom the world depends.
124. Padmanabha - He on whose belly grows a lotus flower.
125. Nirakara - He who is shapeless.
126. Nirliptha - He who is un-smeared.
127. Purushothama - He who is a great Purusha.
128. Krupakara - One who is merciful.
129. Jagadvyapi - One who spreads everywhere in the world.
130. Srikara - One who does auspicious things.
131. Sankha Shobitha - One who shines with a conch.
132. Samudhra Koti Gambheera - One who is as majestic as billions of seas.
133. Devathaa Prathidha Sadaa - One who is always liked by devas.
134. Surapathi - Lord of devas.
135. Bhoothapathi - Lord of earth.
136. Brahmachari - One who is not married.
137. Purandhara - One who is Fire/Indra.
138. Aakasa - One who is the sky.
139. Vayu Moorthi - One who is the form of wind.
140. Brahma Moorthi - One who is the form of Brahma.
141. Jale Sthitha - One who lives on water.
142. Brahma - One who is Brahma.
143. Druthipala - One who protects from misconception.
144. Parama - One who is divine.
145. Amrutha Dayaka - One who gave nectar.
146. Paramananda Sampoorna - One who is filled with divine joy.
147. Punyadeva - One who is God of blessed deeds.
148. Parayana - One who is whole.
149. Dhani - He who is wealthy.
150. Dhana Dhatha - He who gives wealth.
151. Dhana Garbha - He who produces wealth.
152. Maheswara - The greatest god.
153. Pasapani - He who has the rope in his hand.
154. Sarva Jeeva - He who is all life.
155. Sarva Samsara Rakshaka - He who protects all the world.
156. Deva Kartha - He who created (activated) the devas.
157. Brahma Kartha - He who created (activated) Brahma.
158. Vasishta - He who is sage Vasishta.
159. Brahma Palaka - He who looks after Brahma.
160. Jagathpathi - Lord of the earth.
161. Suracharya - One who is the Guru of the devas.
162. Jagatvyapi - He who has spread all over the world.
163. Jithendraya - He who controls his senses.
164. Mahamoorthi - The Great form.
165. Viswamoorthi - The universal form.
166. Mahabudhi - The great intelligence.
167. Parakrama - He who is valorous.
168. Sarva Bheejartha Chari - He who travels within all seed.
169. Drushtaa - He who sees.
170. Vedapathi - Lord of the Vedas.
171. Sarva Jeevasya Jeeva - The soul of all beings.
172. Gopathi - The Lord of earth.
173. Marutham Pathi - The Lord of the Maruths.
174. Mano Budhi - The intelligence of the mind.
175. Ahankara Kama Krodhadhi Nasana - Destroyer of pride, passion and anger.
176. Kamadeva - Lord of love.
177. Kamapala - Protector of love.
178. Kamanga - He in whom love is a part.
179. Kama Vallabha - Lord of love God.
180. Sathru Nasi - Destroyer of enemies.
181. Krupa Sindhu - Ocean of mercy.
182. Krupalu - The merciful one.
183. Parameswara - The greatest God.
184. Devatratha - The protector of devas.
185. Devamatha - The mother of devas.
186. Bratha - The brother.
187. Bandhu - The relation.
188. Pithaa - The father.
189. Sakhaa - The friend.
190. Balabhadra - Balarama.
191. Thanuroopa - He who has slender form.
192. Viswakarma - The doer of the world.
193. Balo Bala - Stronger than strong.
194. Aneka Moorthi - One who has several forms.
195. Sathatham Sathya Vaadi - One who always is truthful.
196. Sathaam Gathi - The Ultimate destination of good people.
197. Loka Brahma - The Creator of the world.
198. Brahat Brahma - The great creator.
199. Sthoola Brahma - The tall creator.
200. Sureswara - The God of devas.
201. Jagad Vyapi - He has spread all over the world.
202. Sadachari - He who follows good rituals.
203. Sarva Bhoothascha Bhoopathi - King of all bhoothas.
204. Durga Pala - The protector of Durga.
205. Kshethra Nadha - Lord of the temple.
206. Ratheesa - The God of Rathi.
207. Rathi Nayaka - The Lord of Rathi.
208. Bali - The sacrifice.
209. Viswa - The universe.
210. Balachari - He who observes rituals strongly.
211. Baladha - He who is strong.
212. Bali Vamana - He who is Mahabali as well as Vamana.
213. Darahasa - He who laughs at Indra (or From the navel).
214. Saradchandra - Autumn moon.
215. Parama - The greatest.
216. Parapalaka - Protector of divinity.
217. Aakaradhi Makarantha - He who starts from "Aa" and ends in "ma".
218. Madhyokara - He who has a middle form.
219. Swaroopa Druk - He who shows his form.
220. Sthuthi Sthayi - He who is constantly praised.
221. Somapa - He who conducts soma sacrifice.
222. Swahakara - He who makes the sound "Swaha".
223. Swadhakara - He who offers Swadha, the food of manes.
224. Mathsya - Incarnation of fish.
225. Koorma - Incarnation of turtle.
226. Varaha - Incarnation of boar.
227. Nrusimha - Incarnation of man lion.
228. Vamana - Incarnation of Vamana.
229. Parsurama - Incarnation of Parasurama.
230. Mahaveerya - The great hero.
231. Rama - Incarnation of Rama.
232. Dasarathmaja - The son of Dasaratha.
233. Devaki Nandna - The son of Devaki.
234. Sreshta - The superior one.
235. Nruhari - The man lion.
236. Narapalaka - The protector of man.
237. Vanamali - He who wears forest garland.
238. Dehadhaari - He who sports a body.
239. Padma Maala Vibhooshana - He who decorates himself with lotus garland.
240. Mallikaa Maala Dhari - He who wears jasmine Garland.
241. Jathi Juthi Priya Sadaa - He who always loves an energetic division.
242. Brahatrhpithaa - Big father.
243. Mahaapithaa - Great father.
244. Brahmana - Brahmin.
245. Brahmana Priya - He who likes a Brahmin.
246. Kalpa Raja - King of Eons.
247. Khaga Pathi - Lord of the bird.
248. Devesa - God of devas.
249. Deva Vallabha - Darling of devas.
250. Paramathma - Divine soul.
251. Balorajna - He who gives strong order.
252. Mangalya - He who is auspicious.
253. Sarva Mangala - He who makes everything auspicious.
254. Sarva Bala - He who has all type of strengths.
255. Dehadhari - He who has takes human form.
256. Ragnaa - KIng.
257. Bala Dhayaka - He who gives results.
258. Naana Pakshi Pathangaanaam Pavana Paripalaka - The holy protector of birds and butterflies.
259. Vrundavana Vihari - He who lives in Vrundavan.
260. Nithya Sthala Viharaka - He who roams daily in places.
261. Kshethrapala - He who is the guardian of Holy things.
262. Manava - Man.
263. Bhuvana - Earth.
264. Bhava Palaka - Protector of domestic life.
265. Sathwam - Pious quality.
266. Rajas - Regal quality.
267. Thamas - Base quality.
268. Ahankara - Pride.
269. Para - Divine.
270. Akasanga - The part of the sky.
271. Ravi - Sun God.
272. Soma - Moon god.
273. Dharani - Earth.
274. Dharanidhara - Carrier of earth.
275. Nischintha - He who is not worried.
276. Yogeendra - The King of yogis.
277. Krupalu - Merciful one.
278. Deha Dharaka - He who assumes a body.
279. Sahasra Seersha - He who has thousand heads.
280. Sri Vishnu - Lord Vishnu.
281. Nithya - He who is forever.
282. Jishnu - He who is always victorious.
283. Niralaya - He who does not have a home.
284. Kartha - Doer.
285. Hartha - Destroyer.
286. Daathaa - Giver.
287. Sathyaa Deekhaadhi Palaka - He observes truth and penance.
288. Kamalaksha - Lotus eyed one.
289. Swayambhootha - He who is himself.
290. Krishna Varna - He who is black.
291. Vana Priya - He who likes forest.
292. Kalpadruma - He who is the wish giving tree.
293. Padaapaari - He who is attached to plants.
294. Kalpakaari - Competent artist.
295. Swayam Hari - He who is Hari.
296. Devaanmaam Cha Guru - He who is the guru of devas.
297. Sarva Deva Roopa Namaskruthaa - He who is saluted by devas of all forms.
298. Nigamagamachari - He who walks in the way of conclusion of Vedas.
299. Krishna Gamya - He who goes to Lord Krishna.
300. Swayam Yasa - He who is himself famous.
301. Narayano Naraanaam - He who is Narayana to human beings.
302. Lokaanaam Prabhur Uthama - The great lord of people.
303. Jeevaanaam Parmathma - The divine soul to all beings.
304. Jagat Vandhya - He who is saluted by the world.
305. Paro Yama - He who is greater than Yama.
306. Bhootha Vasi - He who lives in all beings.
307. Paroksha - He who is mysterious.
308. Sarva Vaasi - He who lives in everything.
309. Charasraya - He who is depended by moving beings..
310. Bhageerathi Mano Budhir - The river Ganges of mind and intellect.
311. Bhava Mrutyu Paristhitha - He Who makes the death and birth process stop.
312. Samsara Pranayi - He who loves life.
313. Preetha - He who likes.
314. Samsara Rakshaka Sadaa - Who always protects domestic life.
315. Nana Varna Dharaa - He who takes shape in different castes.
316. Deva - God.
317. Nana Pushpa Vibhooshana - He who decorates himself by various flowers.
318. Nanda Dwaja - He who uses the flag of Nanda.
319. Brahma Roopa - He who has the form of Brahma.
320. Giri Vasi - He who lives on a mountain.
321. Ganadhipa - He who is the chief of al Ganas.
322. Maayadhara - He who takes recourse to illusion.
323. Varnadhari - He who carries forward Varna (caste divisions).
324. Yogeesa - He who is the God of yoga.
325. Sridhara - He who caries Goddess Lakshmi.
326. Hari - Hari.
327. Mahajyothi - The great flame.
328. Mahaveerya - The great hero.
329. Balavamsa - He who is from clan of Strong people.
330. Balodhbhava - He who was born strong.
331. Bhoothakrud - He who creates beings.
332. Bhavana - He who is the dwelling.
333. Deva - God.
334. Brahmachari - Bachelor.
335. Suradhipa - King of devas.
336. Saraswathi - Saraswathi.
337. Suracharya - The teacher of devas.
338. Suradeva - The deva of devas.
339. Sureswara - The God of devas.
340. Ashta Moorthi Dhara - He who has eight forms.
341. Rudra - He who is angry.
342. Ichaa Moorthi - He who takes shape according to his desire.
343. Parakrama - He who is valorous.
344. Maha Naga Pathi - Lord of the great snake.
345. Punya Karma Thapaschara - He who does good deeds and penance.
346. Dheenapa - He who is the King of down trodden.
347. Dheenapala - He who protects the down trodden.
348. Divya Simha - He who is the divine lion.
349. Divaakara - He who makes day break.
350. Anabhoktha - He who is the breath of a consumer.
351. Sabhoktha - He who is a co consumer.
352. Havirbhoktha - He who is the consumer of sacrificial offering.
353. Paro Para - Divine among divines.
354. Manthrada - He who teaches the Manthras.
355. Jnana Datha - He who gives wisdom.
356. Sarva Dhatha - He who gives everything.
357. Paro Hari - Divine Hari.
358. Paradhi - He who is the hunter.
359. Paradharma Cha Sarva Dharma Namaskrutha - He who is saluted by other sects as well as all sects.
360. Kshamadasa - He who has the habit of patience..
361. Dhayadasa - He who has the habit of pity.
362. Sathyadha - He who teaches the truth.
363. Sathya Palaka - He who protects the truth..
364. Kamsari - The enemy of Kamsa.
365. Kesinasi - The destroyer of Kesi.
366. Nasana - He who destroys.
367. Dushta Nasana - He who destroys bad people.
368. Pandava Preethidha - He who is dear to Pandavas.
369. Parama - He who is greatest.
370. Para Palaka - The divine guard.
371. Jagad Datha - The giver to the world.
372. Jagad Kartha - The one who made the world.
373. Gopa Govathsa Palaka - He who protected Gopas and calves.
374. Santhana - He who is eternal.
375. Mahabrahma - The great Brahma.
376. Phaladha Karmacharina - He who does Karma without expecting results.
377. Parama - Divine.
378. Paramananda - Divine joy.
379. Para Dhi - He who searches for others.
380. Parameswara - Divine god.
381. Sarana Sarva Lokaanaam - He who gives protection to the entire world.
382. Sarva Sastra Parigraha - He who is an expert in all Sastras.
383. Dharma Kruthi - Good act.
384. Maha Dharma - The Great Dharma.
385. Dharmathma - He who has Dharma as soul.
386. Dharma Bandhava - He who is friend to those who follow Dharma.
387. Mana Karthaa - The Lord of the mind.
388. Mahabudhi - Greatly wise one.
389. Maha Mahima Dhayaka - He who gives great greatness.
390. Bhoorbhuva Suva - He who is the Bhoo, Bhuva and Suva Worlds.
391. Maha Moorthi - The great form.
392. Bheema - The gross.
393. Bheema Parakrama - Greatly valorous.
394. Pathya - He who is wholesome.
395. Bhoothathmaka - He who is the soul of all beings.
396. Deva - God.
397. Pathya Moorthi - Wholesome form.
398. Parath Para - The divine among divines.
399. Visvaakaro - He who has the universe as body.
400. Visvagarbha - He who creates the universe.
401. Sura - Deva.
402. Sureswara - God of devas.
403. Bhuvanesa - God of earth.
404. Sarva Vyapi - He who spread in everything.
405. Bhavesa - God of birth death cycle.
406. Bhava Palaka - The administrator of birth death cycle.
407. Darasaneeya - He who is smart.
408. Chathurveda - The four Vedas.
409. Shubanga - He has a good organs.
410. Loka Darsana - He who looks after the world.
411. Shyamala - He who is black.
412. Santha Murthi - He who has a peaceful form.
413. Susantha - He who is nicely peaceful.
414. Chathurothama - He who is the best among intelligent.
415. Sama Preethi - He who likes Sama Veda.
416. Rik Preethi - He who likes Rik Veda.
417. Yajusho Atharvana Priya - He who likes Yajur and Atharvana Veda.
418. Shyama Chandra - He who is like a black moon.
419. Chathur Murthi - He who has four forms.
420. Chathur Bahu - He who has four hands.
421. Chathur Gathi - He who has four places to go.
422. Maha Jyothi - He who is the great flame.
423. Maha Murthi - He who has a great form.
424. Maha Dhama - He who is the great dwelling.
425. Maheswara - He who is the great god.
426. Agasthi Vara Dathaa - He who gave boons to Agasthya.
427. Sarva Deva Pithamaha - He who is grandfather of all devas.
428. Prahaladaya Preethi Kara - He who used to like Prahladha.
429. Dhruvapi Mana Tharaka - He for whom Dhruva is the star of the mind.
430. Manditha Suthanur Dathaa - He who gives pretty adorned lady.
431. Sadhu Bhakthi Pradayaka - He who gives devotion to good people.
432. Omkara - He who is "Om".
433. Param Brahma - He who is the divine Brahman.
434. Niralamba - He who is independent.
435. Hari - Hari.
436. Sadgathi - Good aim.
437. Parama - Greatest.
438. Hamsa - The Hamsa state.
439. Jeevathma - The divine soul.
440. Jana Nayaka - Leader of men.
441. Mana - Mind.
442. Chintha - Thought.
443. Chintha Haari - Destroyer of worry.
444. Manogna - He who is beyond mind.
445. Paradhika - He who is beyond divinity.
446. Brahmano - Brahmin.
447. Brahma Jaatheenam Indriyanam Gathi - The aim of Brahmins and the senses.
448. Prabhu - Lord.
449. Tripada - He who has three legs.
450. Oordhwa Sambhootha - He who is seen as tall.
451. Virat - He who is Supreme.
452. Sureswara - He who is God of devas.
453. Parath Para - The greatest divine.
454. Para - Divine.
455. Padha Padmastha - He who has lotus like feet.
456. Kamalasana - He who sits on lotus.
457. Nana Sandheha Vishaya Thathwa Jnapi Nirvrutha - He who clears different type of doubts through philosophy.
458. Sarvagna - He who knows everything.
459. Jagad Bandhu - Friend of the world.
460. Manoja Jnatha Karaka - He who makes the mind understand.
461. Mukha Sambhootha - He who is seen as a face.
462. Vipra - Brahmin.
463. Bahu Sambhootha - He who is seen as hands.
464. Raja - King.
465. Vara - He who is blessed.
466. Vyasya - Merchant.
467. Padothbhutha - He who has wonderful feet.
468. Sudra - The service providers.
469. Nithyopa - Daily support.
470. Nithyaka - He who is forever.
471. Jnani - He who has realised.
472. Maani - He who is proud.
473. Varnadha - He who is colourful.
474. Sarvadha - He who is everything.
475. Sarva Bhooshitha - He who is decorated by everything.
476. Anadhi Varna Asandehaa - He whose glory is not doubted from very beginning.
477. Nana Karma Paristhitha - He who is in various type of activities.
478. Sradaadhi Dharma Asandeha - He whose sincerity in Dharma is beyond doubt.
479. Brahma Deha - He whose body is Brahman.
480. Smithanana - He who has a smiling face.
481. Sambarari - Enemy of Sambara.
482. Vedapathi - Lord of Vedas.
483. Sukrutha - He who does good deeds.
484. Sathwa Vardhana - He who makes good increase.
485. Sakala - He who is everything.
486. Sarva Bhoothaa - He who is all beings.
487. Sarva Dathaa - He who gives everything.
488. Jaganmaya - He who is everywhere in the world.
489. Sarva Bhootha Hithoushi - He who goes favourable works to all beings.
490. Sarva Prani Hithe Ratha - He who is pleased to perform Profitable work for all beings.
491. Sarvadhaa Deha Dhaari - He who always carries a body.
492. Batakaa Batuka Sadaa - He who is the help to the less intelligent always.
493. Sarva Karma Vidathaa - The law giver to all actions.
494. Dhyanadha Karunathmaka - He who is merciful to those who think of him.
495. Punya Sampathi Dathaa - He who gives blessed acts and wealth.
496. Kartha - Doer.
497. Hartha - Punisher.
498. Sadaa Neeladrivasi - He who always lives on blue mountain.
499. Nathasya Purandara - Indra to the devas.
500. Nara - Sage Nara.
501. Narayana - Sage Narayana.
502. Deva - God.
503. Nirmala - Pure one.
504. Nirupadrava - One who never troubles.
505. Brahma - Lord Brahma.
506. Shambhu - Lord Shiva.
507. Surasreshta - The great deva.
508. Khambu Pani - He who holds a conch.
509. Balorjuna - The power of Arjuna.
510. Jagat Dhata - The giver to the world.
511. Chirayus - He who is long lived.
512. Govinda - He who lifted the earth or chief of cows.
513. Gopa Vallabha - The lord of Gopas.
514. Deva Deva - The God of Gods.
515. Maha Brahma - The great creator.
516. Maha Raja - The great King.
517. Maha Gathi - The great destination.
518. Anantha - The endless one.
519. Bhootha Nadha - The Lord of all beings.
520. Anantha - The Adhi Sesha.
521. Bhootha Sambhava - H who has happened in the past.
522. Samudhra Parvathaanaam Cha Gandharvaanam Thadasraya - He on whom ocean, mountains and Gandharwas depend.
523. Sri Krishna - Lord Krishna.
524. Devaki Puthra - The son of Devaki.
525. Muarai - The enemy of Mura.
526. Venu Hasthaka - He who holds the flute in his hand.
527. Jagat Sthayi - He who makes the world stable.
528. Jagad Vyapi - He who has spread throughout the world.
529. Sarva Samsara Bhoothidhaa - The power behind the entire world.
530. Rathna Garbha - He who creates gems.
531. Rathna Hastha - He who has a gem like hand.
532. Rathnakara Suthaa Pathi - The lord of the daughter of Rathnakara.
533. Kandharpa - God of love.
534. Rakshaa Kaari - He who protects.
535. Kamadeva - God of love.
536. Pithamaha - Grand father.
537. Koti Bhaskara Samjyothi - He who has the luster of billion suns.
538. Koti Chandra Susheethala - He who is as cool as billions of moon.
539. Koti Kandharpa Lavanya - He who is as pretty as billions of god of love.
540. Kama Murthi - The idol of love.
541. Brahath Thapa - He who does great penance.
542. Mathura Pura Vaasi - He who lived in town of Mathura.
543. Dwariko - He who lived in Dwaraka.
544. Dwaraka Pathi - The Lord of Dwaraka.
545. Vasantha Rithu Nadha - The lord of spring season.
546. Madhava - He who is the lord of knowledge.
547. Preethidha Sadaa - He who always is cherishable.
548. Shyama Bandhu - The black friend.
549. Ghana Shyama - He who is as black as thick cloud.
550. Ghanaghana Samudhyuthi - He who lifted a thick mountain.
551. Anantha Kalpa Vaasi - He who lives in endless ions.
552. Kalpa Saakshi - The witness to the ion.
553. Kalpa Kruth - He who creates the ion.
554. Sathya Nadha - Lord of truth.
555. Sathya Chari - Observer of truth.
556. Sathya Vaadi - The one argues for truth.
557. Sadaa Sthithaa - One who exists always.
558. Chathur Murthi - He who has four forms.
559. Chathur Bahu - He who has four hands.
560. Chathur Yuga Pathi - Lord of four Yugas.
561. Bhava - Lord Shiva or he who is excellent.
562. Rama - Lord Rama.
563. Krishna - Lord Krishna.
564. Yugantha - The end of the time.
565. Bala Bhadra - Bala Rama.
566. Balo Bali - He who caused hurt to Mahabali.
567. Lakshi Narayna - Lord Narayana with goddess Lakshmi.
568. Deva - God.
569. Salagrama Sila - Salagrama stone.
570. Prabhu Pranopana Samanascha Udhana Vyana Thadaiva Cha - The lord of winds like Prana, Apana, Samana, Udhana and Vyana..
571. Panchathma - The five souls.
572. Pancha Thathwa - The five principles.
573. Saranagatha Palaka - He who protects those who surrender to him.
574. Yath Kinchith Darsathe Loke Thath Sarvam Jagadheeswara - The God of the entire earth and all those who are seen in it..
575. Jagadheesa - Lord of earth.
576. Mahad Brahma - The great Brahma.
577. Jagannathaya They Nama - Salutations to you Jagannatha.
The hearing of benefits.
1. Yevam nama sahasrena sthavo yam padayathe yadhi,
Patam paatayathe yasthu srunuyadhad api manava.
If a human being reads this prayer of one thousand names,
Or study it or hear it.
2. Sahasraanaam sathenaiva yagnena paripoojathe,
Yath punyam sarva theertheshu vedeshu cha viseshatha.
The benefit accrued is greater than doing hundreds of thousands,
Of sacrifices and also greater than all sacred waters and reading of Vedas.
3. Thath punyam koti gunitham achiraal labhyathe nara,
Jagannadhasya naamaani punyaani saphalaani cha.
And the man would get billion times the effect of that
And the blessed names of Jagananadha also would yield good results.
4. Vidhyarthi labhathe viudhyaam, yogarthi yogam aapnuyath,
Kanyarthi labhathe kanyaam, jayarthi labhathe jayam.
The one who desires knowledge would get knowledge, he who wants yoga will make yoga his own,
He who desires for a maid will get a maid and he who desires for victory will get victory.
5. Kamarthi labhathe Kamam, puthrarthi labhathe sutham,
Kshatriyaanaam prayogena sankrame jayadha sadaa.
He who needs fulfillment of desires would get them fulfilled, he who desires sons would get a son,
And a Kshatriya who uses it will always win in a war.
6. Vaisyaanaam sarva dharmasyaach, Sudranaam sukham yedathe,
Sadhunaam padatho nithyam jnanadha phaladha thadhaa.
A merchant would get all Dharmas and a Sudra would get pleasant life,
And a sage reading it daily would get divine wisdom because of it.
7. Na apavadham na dukham cha kadhaa cha labhathe nara,
Sarva soukhyam phalam praapya Chiram jeevi bhaveth nara.
A man will not get a bad name or suffer sorrows at any time,
And he getting all pleasures would live for a very long time.
8. Srunu rajan mahabaho mahimaanaam jagat pathe,
Yasya smarana mathrena sarva paapai pramuchyathe.
Oh valorous King, please hear Just by thinking,
Of the greatness of the Lord of the earth, all sins would be destroyed.
9. Jagananadham loka nadham padathe ya sadaa suchi,
Kalikalothbhavam papam thath kshanaath thasya nasyathi.
He who is pure, if he reads about Jagannadha, the god of earth,
Would immediately loose the sin of being born in the Kali age.
Ithi Sri Brahme maha purane BHeshma Yudhishtra samvaade,
Sri Jagannadhga sahasra namam stotram sampoornam.
Thus ends the prayer of one thousand names of Jagannadha which occurs in,
The discussion between Yudhishtra and Bheeshma which occurs in the great Brahma Purana.