Surya Sthava Raja
Surya Sthava Raja
[King of Prayers addressed to Sun God]
Translated by P. R. Ramachander
1. Sthavam sthathra thatha Samba kruso ghamani santhatha,
Rajan nama sahasrena sahasramsum Divakaram
Samba born to the very thin daughter of a bear,
Prayed Lord Sun with thousand rays using his thousand names.
2. Khidhyamanam thu tham drushtwa Surya Krishnathmajam thadhaa,
Swapnethu darsanam dathwaa punar vachanam abraveeth.
Seeing him, who was the son of Lord Krishna, very greatly depressed,
The sun God appeared in his dream and told the following reply.
Sri Surya Uvacha:-
The Sun God said:-
3. Samba samba maha baho, srunu Jambhavi sutha,
Alam nama sahasrena pada sthavam imam shubham.
Oh Samba who is with goddess, Of son of Jambavathi, please hear,
Please read this great prayer equal to my thousand names.
4. Yaani naamani guhyaani pavithraani, shubhaani cha,
Thaani they keerthayishyaami sruthwaa vathsavadharaya
These secret names which are pure and auspicious,
Oh son, should be either sung or heard with great devotion.
5. Vivarthano vivasamcha Marthando, Bhaskaro, ravi,
Loka prakasaka, Sriman, loka chakshur, graheswara
The transformer, the one who shines, the bird in the sky, One who makes light, One who bestows,
The one who makes the world shine, gentleman, the eye of the world and the God of all planets.
6. Loka saakshi, trilokesa, kartha harthaa, thamisrahaa,
Thapansthapanaaschaiva suchee sapthaswa vahana.
The witness to the world, lord of three worlds, the doer and the destroyer, the killer of the night,
He who heats, he who cools, the pure one and one who rides on seven horses.
7. Gabasthi hastho, bradhnascha, sarva deva namaskrutha,
Yeka vimsathir ithyesha sthava, ishta sadaa mama,
He who has shining hands, one who is mighty and one saluted by all devas,
And this prayer of my twenty one names, is always liked by me.
8. Deha arogya karaschaiva, dhana vrudhi yasakara.
Sthava raja ithi khyathi sthreeshu lokeshu viSritha.
This improves health and increases wealth and fame,
And in all the three worlds, it is famous as "King of prayers."
9. Ya yethena maha baago, dwe sandhye, asthamanodhaye,
Sthouthi maam pranatho brathwaa, sarva paapai pramukthythe.
Oh valorous hero, he who prays me using this at dusk and dawn,
Would please me and would get rid of all committed sins.
10. Kayikam, vachikam chava manasam yascha dushkrutham,
Yedath japyena thath sarva pranasyathi na samsaya.
Without any doubt chanting of this would destroy bad effects,
Of bad acts done by body, words or one's mind.
11. Yesha japyascha, homascha sandhyopsana meva cha,
Bali manthro arda manthrascha dhoopa manthra sthadaiva cha
This is chanting, fire sacrifice, rituals done at dawn and dusk,
Chants of sacrifice, half chants as well as chants along with incense.
12. Annapradhane, snane cha pranipathe, pradakshine,
Poojithoyam maha manthra, sarva papa hara shubha,
After giving food, bath and respectful holy round walking,
If one worships with this great chant, it would destroy all sins.
13. Yevam ukthwa thu bhagawan bhaskaro jagadeeswara,
Aamanthrya Krishna thanayam, thathrai vantharadheeyatha.
After telling like this, the sun god who is the God of the universe,
Invited the son of Lord Krishna and vanished.
14. Sambopi sthava rajena sthathwa sapthaswa vahanam,
Poothathma, neruja sreemam sthasmad durgaad vimukthavan.
Samba then prayed the God who rides on seven horses,
And that pure one who was wholesome gentleman got rid of his troubles.